Sunday, 16 November 2014

The Forest of Wander

Wander - to walk or move in an aimless way (Oxford English Dictionary)
[side note: thank you to my amazing English TA who enlightened me with this dictionary; literally the bomb dot com]

I am constantly in this forest: wandering, seeking, lost. I walk down the same trail. I see the same birds. The same trees. The same deer. The same sun.


Nothing ever changes.

But once in a while, when the sun shines brighter than normal, someone else walks down that same trail. I sit in the middle of the forest and notice vibrations resonating off of the leaf covered ground. I hear breaths. I hear eyes. I hear someone listening.

They walk further into the forest, and as they come closer, all I can think to myself is, they've gotta find me.




I jump up, I scream, I roar, I wave my hands simultaneously in the air, and all they do is stand right above me, looking straight, and walk by. They exit the forest, and I'm still here, left alone, in the same spot: with the same birds, and the same trees, and the same deer, and the same sun.



How will I get out of here?

---

There was actually this one day, when someone came through the forest and ran straight to me. I was so confused. No one's ever found me before, but this person happened to find me so instantly. The scary thing was that, they saw me, amidst the nature that surrounded us, and the dangers of all things real. Who is this person? I thought.

They picked me up and took me to another place, somewhere far, somewhere beautiful.



I got stuck there too.

So I got up, and wandered around myself, without a goodbye, and found the old spot that I used to sit in.

But it was different, and it was green, and it was large, and it was flat, and it was comfortable.

It was different: with the same sun, and the same deer, and the same trees, and the same birds.

How will I get out of here?





No comments:

Post a Comment