Saturday, 4 April 2015

There's Always a Bigger Picture.

I've been exposed to quite a few things these past two weeks that have got me to contemplate, and ponder a lot more. I guess I'm at a point in life where things have come to a halt. Usually, I'm faced with a lot of things happening, all within a short period of time. Instead, I've noticed that not a lot has happened, but quite a lot has been realized from my end.

I'm pretty much done my first year of university, classes ended just two days ago. At this point, I still have a few make-up classes to go to because my professors have been kind enough to schedule extra classes to compensate for the effects of the recent strike. Essentially, all I'm preparing for are exams, and then I'm off to summer school, a whole two months dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge in the field of biology, I'm honestly quite ecstatic to see how different this experience will be from high school.

Overall, I feel like this year has been dedicated to improving myself, and creating stronger bonds with my family, and with my friends, new and old.

I have however been privileged enough to see this video here, it's called "The Last Lecture", given by Doctor Randy Pausch, which aired on the Oprah Show in 2007: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn9L4CxAaQY

One of my facebook friends shared it, and out of curiosity, I happened to check it out. Honestly, I'm really glad I did. Just to give you a quick synopsis, it's a lecture all about life, and how one can achieve their dreams and approach the bigger picture.

I've realized that, in this day and age, and probably many generations before me, all people have focused on is the events that are happening to them right now. We ask ourselves common questions like: What am I going to eat for dinner today? What am I going to wear to the party? Where should I go for vacation this summer? Should I complete this assignment tonight or watch a movie instead?, which lead to more complicated, yet still common questions like: What do I want to pursue in my educational career? Who will I fall in love with and marry? How many children will I have? Will I have children? Do I even need to get married? Will I get married, or will I stay single?

Although, I think these are very important questions to ask ourselves to understand what we're living through right now, I think we're missing out on the most important question of all which is HOW AM I LIVING MY LIFE? WILL I BE PROUD OF HOW I LIVED IT WHEN I GET OLDER? WILL I DIE HAPPY?

I think there's such a huge emphasis on pleasure and trends, that we forget as a human race how to even function as mere human beings, for the simple and "non-extravagant" beings that we are. We forget to see the joy in the simple things. We forget to remember what we're living for.

I believe that we're living for a bigger picture; a legacy for a future that will continue our lives and what we've established here. We are living for the beauty of life that the Lord has blessed us with, and the mission He's set for us. We're living for something else.

I guarantee that when we die, when we reach that afterlife, we might just ask God for one more chance, to fulfill one more thing, if we keep acting this way. We need to start living our lives, not just in the mere current moments, but for the future, for the larger spectrum of prospectives we have yet to reach; for the cure for cancer, for the cure for diabetes, for the end of racism and discrimination, for the opportunities for our children, for the end of poverty, for the hope of a better life.

If we have hope, if we live for a larger purpose, if we just remember to be optimistic in any situation, we can change the future into a bigger and better one for many.

We must stay optimistic, we must stay hopeful, because no matter what anyone tells you to break you down, no matter how many people try to stand in your way and tell you you're wrong for being a dreamer, no matter how much they try to tell you that you're not being realistic, I know that the moment you put your head on your pillow and lay down to sleep at night, you are a much happier person because you stayed optimistic in the belief of a larger cause. You believe that hope is the future.

Now as I leave you with this post, I'd like to ask you one last question; HOW WILL YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE?


No comments:

Post a Comment